Design & Technology
Design and Technology (DT) at St John and St Francis Church School
DT Lead – Miss Melissa Bryant
Governor Link – Lieutenant Jon Culshaw
Our vision at St John and St Francis Church School, is for our Design and Technology curriculum to be an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Computing and Art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful and innovative. Through the evaluation of past and present Design and Technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Design and Technology begins in EYFS and children build on their knowledge and skills is they move through the primary phase of learning. Our curriculum is planned coherently for children to acquire both knowledge and skills, matching the requirements of the National Curriculum. Within our planning, a structure of design, investigate, make and evaluate is followed with technical knowledge threaded throughout each stage. Designing, making and evaluating structures, mechanisms, electrical control and a range of materials, including food and nutrition, are all part of our Design and Technology curriculum.
We plan learning opportunities to enable pupils to:
- Develop the creative, technical, and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Extending the curriculum beyond the classroom in clubs and visits, offering further opportunities for children to discover personal interests and talents.
Design Technology Whole School Yearly Overview
Design and Technology Progression Document
Design & Technology Curriculum Plan